Do you shun hiking tours?
Prefer to go on your own to experience the hike in your own way?
Maybe even enjoy a bit of danger here and there.
The danger itself can stem from many things.
It could the animal you encounter along the trail.
Updated 2/9/2020 – Or perhaps you just hear them…
Like the distinctive sound of a rattlesnake in the brush.
On hiking tours it might be the guide who gets bit, haha, but when you go it alone, you’re the one in danger!
All it takes is the wrong step to have a deadly encounter with a defensive animal.
The danger could also come from the weather.
It might be extremely hot, extremely cold, or even in high elevations where it’s harder to breathe, and could prove more deadly than any animal run-in.
The thing is, there’s always some hint of danger.
On your own, or on hiking tours.
Nature does it wants to do, and sometimes that means you’re about to have a difficult time ahead.
But we asked ourselves, of all the hiking trails in the world, where is it the most dangerous?
Which trail pushes the danger to its maximum extreme?
What is the most insane, deadly, trail in the world?
Well, we have our pick and now we’re presenting it to you, in all of its nail-biting glory.
In this post you’re going to discover 25 breathtaking pictures from the world’s deadliest hiking trail.
This is arguably the most insanely dangerous hiking trail in the world.
After you see this trail you just decide to stick to the safe hiking tours from now on! haha
All the dangers mentioned above are present in this trail.
But those are trivial compared to the real dangers on this trail.
You may be wondering, “If it’s not the animals or the weather that makes it so deadly, then what is it?
What makes this the most deadly hiking trail in the world?”
To find out, click through this photo gallery and you’ll discover why.
Warning…prepare to wipe the sweat from your palms, especially when you see picture #15!
I hope you don’t have a fear of heights!
Forget Those Easy Hiking Tours – Try Your Luck On The World’s Deadliest Hiking Trail
Table of Contents
- 1 1. Where Is the Deadliest Hiking Trail?
- 2 2. It begins…
- 3 3. So far it looks pretty easy
- 4 4. Except…
- 5 5. They are impossibly steep
- 6 6. This is how you’ll hoist yourself up
- 7 7. Whew, almost done, right?
- 8 8. Can I say goodbye to the stairs now?
- 9 9. How many stairs are left?
- 10 10. You’re feeling brave, so let’s continue!
- 11 11. Do we have even more stairs?
- 12 12. Hold on…
- 13 13. Watch your step very carefully
- 14 14. Grab those chains tight
- 15 15. Don’t Look Down!
- 16 16. Bring back the planks!
- 17 17. Stop looking down!
- 18 18. Will we find anything at the top?
- 19 19. Hang a lock for good luck
- 20 20. Keep going to the top
- 21 21. What’s that thing on the top of the South Peak?
- 22 22. You made it…alive…and with all your limbs!
- 23 23. It’s a Taoist Temple!
- 24 24. But it’s no longer a temple. Now it’s…
- 25 25. You still have to go back down
1. Where Is the Deadliest Hiking Trail?
If you think you’re ready to press your luck, you’ll find the deadliest hiking trail at Mt Hua Shan in China.
Forget about hiking tours.
Do this one alone to test yourself.
2. It begins…
The trail begins in the city of Xi’an.
Gather your courage and press on.
3. So far it looks pretty easy
Ok, so there are some stairs.
You take stair all the time.
No problem, right?
Those aren’t ordinary stairs.
There aren’t any hiking tours that could prepare you for what’s about to come…
370 stairs and…
5. They are impossibly steep
Steep enough to be vertical.
At which point you’ll need to pull yourself up using the old chains hanging about.
6. This is how you’ll hoist yourself up
You may have developed strong legs due to your past hikes.
But here, on the “Heavenly Stairs” of Mt. Hua Shan, your arms will be put to the test.
And your mental resolve.
Maybe you’re thinking that relaxing hiking tours aren’t so bad after all! haha.
7. Whew, almost done, right?
No way Jose.
That was just the beginning.
You’re barely warmed up yet.
The most deadly parts are yet to come!
After the first leg of the hike, you’re going to have to keep climbing to reach the North Peak, which is 1,614 meters up!
That’s where a cable car and hiking tours let off.
8. Can I say goodbye to the stairs now?
No way Jose x 2.
This hiking trail earned the name “Heavenly Stairs” for good reason.
9. How many stairs are left?
If you thought the initial 370 stairs were hard, I’ve got some bad news for you:
There are almost 1000 stairs left to go, 999 to be exact.
10. You’re feeling brave, so let’s continue!
If your courage starts to slip away, you can always take the cable car to the South Peak, where things get really deadly!
11. Do we have even more stairs?
No way Jose x 3.
Now comes the fun part where you walk the treacherous plank path.
12. Hold on…
Those planks look pretty freakin old and rickety…are they going to hold me?
Only one way to find out.
13. Watch your step very carefully
One step just inches too far to the right, and you’ll be the mountains’ next victim (though you won’t be the last).
14. Grab those chains tight
They are your lifeline.
Let go and you’ll never hike solo or go any hiking tours anywhere again.
15. Don’t Look Down!
Unless you want to give yourself a serious case of vertigo, and plummet to your death, then make sure you keep your eyes fixed on where you want to go.
16. Bring back the planks!
In some places you’re going to have to make do with the rock face of the South Peak.
But hey, there are some toe holes for you to use.
Hope you don’t have big feet…
17. Stop looking down!
If you’re afraid of heights, this is your worst nightmare.
Wipe the sweat from you palms and continue on.
18. Will we find anything at the top?
Yes, you will.
And you’re almost there so you’ll soon discover it.
Don’t leave to go on some easy hiking tours just yet!
19. Hang a lock for good luck
In a tradition of fortune and good luck…
…hikers who make it to the top hang a lock.
20. Keep going to the top
After you hang your lock, you still have another section to hike.
Don’t give up yet!
21. What’s that thing on the top of the South Peak?
It’s a really cool surprise…
22. You made it…alive…and with all your limbs!
The South Peak of Mt. Hua Shan offers stunning views.
People on hiking tours will never know how awesome this is.
But wait a second…look around…what’s that?
23. It’s a Taoist Temple!
Pretty insane to think that someone, long ago, thought, “Hey, this would be the perfect spot for a temple”
24. But it’s no longer a temple. Now it’s…
After all your hard work you deserve to relax with a hot cup of tea.
Leaving those hiking tours behind to hike up the world’s most deadly trail was hard work.
But don’t get too comfy because…
25. You still have to go back down
You’ll need it!