Want to capture authentic paranormal activity?
Then you need the best thermal cameras on the market.
But hold on!
It’s important to do your homework, due to the fact that the cost could set you back a significant amount of money.
Serious paranormal investigators understand that purchasing an infrared camera is a serious investment, which can pay off awesome dividends with great evidence.
Ghosts dwell in a different, parallel world to ours, so having equipment that enhances the capability for capturing their presence makes perfect sense.
Table of Contents
- 1 What Are Infrared Cameras?
- 2 What Do Infrared Cameras Detect?
- 3 How To Catch Ghosts On A Thermal Camera
- 4 The 10 Best Infrared Cameras That Catch Ghosts
- 4.1 1) FLIR i3: Compact Thermal Imaging Camera
- 4.2 2) FLIR E8: NIST Compact Thermal Imaging Camera (Best bang for your buck)
- 4.3 3) Fluke FLK-TIS45 30HZ Thermal Infrared Camera with IR-Fusion
- 4.4 4) Seek Reveal – All In One Handheld Thermal Imager with Flashlight (Heat seeking device)
- 4.5 5) FLIR E50: Compact Thermal Imaging Camera with 240 x 180 IR Resolution and MSX
- 4.6 6) Fluke FLK-VT04 Visual Infrared Thermometer with Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery (Small and compact)
- 4.7 7) FLIR E60: Compact Thermal Imaging Camera with 320 x 240 IR Resolution and MSX
- 4.8 8) FLIR C2 Compact Thermal Imaging System (High sensitivity IR camera)
- 4.9 9) Therm-App TA19A17Q-1000 Thermal Imaging Device (Heat sensing camera app)
- 4.10 10) FLIR TG165 Spot Thermal Camera with Image Storage (Best for beginners)
What Are Infrared Cameras?
Otherwise known as thermographic or thermal imaging, an infrared camera is a device which uses infrared radiation to create an image or video, showing variations in temperature not visible to the naked eye. Normal visible light cameras use a 400-700 nanometer range, where infrared cameras use wavelengths up to 14,000 nanometers.
What Do Infrared Cameras Detect?
The infrared camera detects levels of temperature, converting electronic signals into a thermal image on a screen or monitor. The fluctuations of temperature can indicate the presence of an apparition or energy, depending on the reading. The colder the anomaly, the more likely it is a ghost, depending on what is manifesting.
What Does Full Spectrum Mean?
The entire electromagnetic spectrum of light ranges from infrared to all wavelengths that affect life, including near-ultraviolet. This is called full spectrum, which also means emulating natural light across the spectrum. This is especially important for paranormal investigators, as spirits dwell in realms not easily seen in normal light.
How To Catch Ghosts On A Thermal Camera
Seeing as thermal cameras show variations in temperature, a hot or cold spot in an unexpected area or object can indicate ghostly activity. Once you’ve familiarized yourself with your camera, set it to the highest level of sensitivity to ensure you’re successful capturing paranormal evidence.
Focus on areas that have been reported as active. Train the camera all over the area, including the ceiling. When you see strange temperature fluctuations or anomalies like hand-prints on walls or footprints, pan around and follow the marks to see what else you can find.
What Color Is A Ghost On A Thermal Camera?
The usual assumption is that ghosts are in the colder levels of the spectrum, but it’s important to note what the different colors mean. Yellow through orange, pink and red can indicate warmer spots, while green through blue, purple and black are colder. Sometimes white and black can be hot, so check out your device and how it’s been set.
A good way to test your camera is to hold your hand in front of it while configuring the settings.
The 10 Best Infrared Cameras That Catch Ghosts
1) FLIR i3: Compact Thermal Imaging Camera
Compact and light-weight, the FLIR i3 camera is considered one of the best thermal cameras available. Sturdy enough to use in harsher environments, this easy to use device is also fully automatic and comes with an accessory belt pouch. With 60 x 60 IR resolution and fast scanning, it can store up to 5000 JPEG images.
Complete with a rechargeable battery, it also comes with a USB cable, software for analysis, a case and hand-strap.
2) FLIR E8: NIST Compact Thermal Imaging Camera (Best bang for your buck)
Easy to use, focus-free and light-weight, this camera has excellent thermal accuracy with a temperature range to 250 degrees. The li-ion battery has a 4 hour life and is swappable. With increased thermal sensitivity, color alarm modes, spot measurements and image storage, the software also allows for detailed reports.
USB cables are included, along with a hard transport case and protection covering the device for 2 years, the battery for 5 and the detector for 10.
3) Fluke FLK-TIS45 30HZ Thermal Infrared Camera with IR-Fusion
This camera has picture in picture mode, WiFi upload to cloud storage and user friendly point and shoot technology. With excellent image quality, fast troubleshooting and manual focus, you’ll be sure to capture awesome paranormal evidence. Data management and reporting makes this device even more attractive.
Included in this package is a software system that allows users to view different measurements, such as electrical, mechanical and thermal from the same device at the same time.
4) Seek Reveal – All In One Handheld Thermal Imager with Flashlight (Heat seeking device)
This device has state of the art technology, intuitive controls and a 300 lumen LED light. It also boasts the capacity to capture images in 7 different color palettes, which can be shared and stored on a micro SD card. A range of -40° to 626° F and the ability to pinpoint fluctuations up to 500 feet away makes it an invaluable tool.
This camera also has a rechargeable battery with a ten hour life.
5) FLIR E50: Compact Thermal Imaging Camera with 240 x 180 IR Resolution and MSX
This camera is linked via Bluetooth to mobile devices, to enable remote viewing of IR images, which can also be sent in reports via email. Other capabilities include picture in picture overlays, auto orientation of images when camera is held horizontally or vertically and IR resolution at 240 x 180 pixels.
With auto hot and cold spots as well as FLIR’s patented MSX technology, this device will be a great addition to your paranormal inventory.
6) Fluke FLK-VT04 Visual Infrared Thermometer with Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery (Small and compact)
A handy device offering infrared heat map blending, which helps identify specific locations, it also has center-point temperature identification with a range of -10°C to +250°C to reveal hot and cold spots in the field of view. Small enough to fit in your pocket, this device works straight out of the box.
Focus-free with SmartView® reporting software for customized reports, it also has temperature alarms and an SD card that stores up to 10,000 images.
7) FLIR E60: Compact Thermal Imaging Camera with 320 x 240 IR Resolution and MSX
This camera includes Quick Report software which allows for image analysis and comes with a 512 MB mini SD card, 110-240V AC adaptor/charger, rechargeable battery, USB cable and a hard carrying case. Remote viewing of IR images is linked via Bluetooth to mobile devices with email reporting available.
Auto hot and cold spot detection is featured and the package comes with 2 Li-ion Batteries, a 2 bay charging station, software, USB cable and much more.
8) FLIR C2 Compact Thermal Imaging System (High sensitivity IR camera)
The slim design makes this device easy to fit in your pocket, while offering a built in LED spotlight that can be used as a flashlight as well as lightening images. Also included is FLIR reporting software, image storage up to 4800 pixel resolution and a high sensitivity detector which displays subtle fluctuations.
Collect great ghostly evidence with a device that can change color palettes with both visible and thermal imagery, making analysis a breeze.
9) Therm-App TA19A17Q-1000 Thermal Imaging Device (Heat sensing camera app)
A great Android thermal imaging device with excellent image quality at 384 x 288 pixels, it also offers night vision, interchangeable lenses, application updates and live streaming. What makes this product even more appealing is the inclusion of multiple color palettes for each imaging mode and an open source platform.
This device will easily slip into your pocket which makes it a handy tool, considering the technology that’s packed into this small and convenient device.
10) FLIR TG165 Spot Thermal Camera with Image Storage (Best for beginners)
Bringing together the capabilities of single spot infrared thermometers and FLIR’s reputable thermal cameras, this also features a 24:1 spot size ratio for safer distance measuring and storage of images to an 8 GB micro SD card. You can download images fast over USB with the cable included or the SD card.
Durable, compact, and complete with an international charger and FLIR’s Lepton micro thermal sensor, it makes hot/cold spot detection easy, even for beginners.
- Related: The Best EMF Meter for Ghost Hunting
- Related: 7 Best Night Vision Camcorders for Ghost Hunting (Gets Real Spirits!)
- Related: The 5 Best Spirit Boxes (Communicates With Real Ghosts!)
- Related: How to See Ghosts for Real in 7 Simple Steps