Clairvoyance is a topic on many people’s minds, especially after watching the clairvoyant couple on America’s Got Talent.
While some believe clairvoyance is nothing but a trait seen in movies, there are thousands of people all around the world blessed with this ability, and that’s only counting the ones who have been able to identify it and have chosen to discuss it.
But what is clairvoyance and how does it work?
Read on to find out!
– Updated 6/13/2019
Table of Contents
What is Clairvoyance?
Before we can understand the mechanics of clairvoyance, we must first get a better understanding of what this gift actually is. The term ‘clairvoyance’ comes from two French terms, meaning ‘clear vision.’ In essence, clairvoyance is when someone has the paranormal ability to derive information outside of the normal realm of sensory perception.
Clairvoyants are able to gain information from locations, people and/or objects without using sight, sound, touch, smell or taste to absorb said information. In most cases, clairvoyants have the ability to visualize people and events at another point in time. This gift can be divided into three separate types:
- Precognition: is the ability to see or predict events that have not yet come to pass.
- Retrocognition: is the ability to see past events and people.
- Remote Viewing: is the ability to see contemporary events and people who are beyond the range of seeing with the standard eye.
For some clairvoyants, a specific object or topic can trigger an episode of clear vision, such as a casual discussion about baseball, or seeing a specific number on the clock. If you’ve ever received psychic readings online, you’ll notice that sometimes the reader will suddenly get flashes of intuition. To a common person, these can be taken at face value. But for someone who is clairvoyant, it could trigger a vision that shows them who the next World Series winner will be, or the number of hostages in a bank robbery that is taking place halfway across the world.
Other clairvoyants experience their visions in their dreams. One may dream about a past historic event only to find that the details in their dream were accurate. Others could potentially dream about a family member or loved one getting into an accident and then it comes true later that day.
While the gift of clairvoyance is extraordinary and rare, many who possess this ability grow frustrated by the fact that they do not know when they will receive a vision, nor necessarily when the events they envision will or have taken place. The only thing they have control over is how they endure their visions and what they do with the information after they have experienced it.
Part of fully understanding clairvoyance is understanding what it is NOT. Many people confuse clairvoyance with other gifts of extrasensory perception, and it is important to know the difference. Some clairvoyants have other ‘clair’ abilities while others can only envision events and people.
According to clairvoyant author Emily Matweow, there are three other primary types of clairs:
- Claircognizance (Clear Knowledge): This is the ability to gain knowledge without traditional means of learning said information. This type of clair is often confused with clairvoyance because people with either of these abilities rely on precognition and/or retro-cognition to gain information.
- Clairaudience (Clear Seeing): Clairaudience individuals have the ability to hear voices or spirits without using traditional hearing methods.
- Clairsentience (Clear Feeling): This ability comes from gaining knowledge about a person, object or animal by feeling its vibrations when touching it. Many people get clairsentience and clairvoyance confused, but clairsentient knowledge is only gained by feeling things within the body.
How Does It Work?
Now that we understand in full what clairvoyance is, the next question is quite complicated: how does it work? We may understand the concept of clairvoyance, but unfortunately that does not allow us to understand how it works on a step by step basis.
In short, it all has to do with electromagnetic energy and the tiny bits of data that make up our universe. When people think about the cosmos they visualize stars, planets and a whole lot of empty space. But when you take particles from space and put them under a microscope, what do you see?
These particles are made up of chemical compounds and atoms, specifically formulated in a way to provide a physical object to study. These particles provide us with information, or data, about how they are formulated and how they react to other particles. Every object in the world, from a paperclip to the Eiffel Tower is made up of particles, or data, that can be broken down and explored.
Unlike most people, clairvoyants have the ability to see how these particles interact with each other on a larger scale. Picture a knitted blanket. That blanket is made up of thousands, perhaps millions, of threads that are designed to fit together to create a larger object.
A clairvoyant has the ability to tap into visualizing the blanket when only looking at a thread. Seeing a number written down may trigger a vision as to how that number fits into the cosmic universe—even if their pattern or purpose is not clear to the clairvoyant. Most clairvoyants struggle to describe how their gifts work, as it is a process that they have been able to experience since their youth.
However, author Elizabeth Rose breaks it down in a scientific way, allowing people without the ability to understand the fundamental mechanics of clairvoyance. Want a more intuitive and natural approach? Author and therapist Nicky Sutton provides a glimpse into the beauty of clairvoyance and how it is channeled through meditation and open-mindedness:
Increasing Your Clairvoyant Powers
Are you a clairvoyant and wish to hone into your abilities? Psychotherapist Doreen Virtue provides seven ways to increase your clairvoyant abilities. Here are the main three:
- Don’t Be Afraid: Clairvoyants do not fully utilize their skill because they are subconsciously afraid of what the future might entail. When working with clairvoyant powers, one must first tackle their fear of what the envision first.
- What Is the Question: Clairvoyants will experience a strong vision if they are focusing on something very specific they want to know. When wanting to visualize something the vision will come to you much more easily if you know how to articulate what it is you seek to know.
- Prying Open Your Third Eye: People believe the area between your eyes is a chakra, or energy center. Since clairvoyance requires electromagnetic energy, it is important to concentrate on this portion of the body when attempting to visualize an answer to your question.
Conclusion and Further Help
Like all other clairs, clairvoyance is not something that can be taught, such as telekinesis. People are either clairvoyant or they are not. If you are clairvoyant, do not be afraid to explore your gifts, for the future will unfold no matter what. If you have a friend or loved one who is clairvoyant, try to show support in their ability, for being a clairvoyant is never an easy path.