Looking for the ideal mountain bike?
You need something that is ready to tackle whatever the trail throws at it.
Steep single tracks, paved roads, rocky hillsides, or rough dirt trails, the bike needs to absorb shocks and easily deal with the challenges you'll face.
It also has to be comfortable, durable and last but not least; it needs to be affordable!
Well you're in luck.
Because you're about to discover the best mountain bikes under $1000 - so you're sure to find one that fits your unique cycling needs.
10 Best Mountain Bikes for Under $1000 (
2020 Buyers Guide)
Table of Contents
- 1 1) Diamondback Recoil 29er - Excellent mountain bike for single track
- 2 2) Mongoose Ruddy Comp 27.5+ - Top men's mountain bike for the money
- 3 3) Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er - Best hardtail mountain bike for under $1000
- 4 4) Diamondback Lux LT 27.5" - Our favorite women's mountain bike for the money
- 5 5) Diamondback Atroz - Best full suspension mountain bike
- 6 6) Nashbar Single-Speed 29er - Top choice single speed mountain bike
- 7 7) Diamondback Overdrive Sport 27.5 2018 - Best budget mountain bike
- 8 8) SE F@E Fat Bike - Top rated fatty
- 9 9) Breezer Thunder Sport - Perfect for beginners
- 10 10) 2014 Breezer Thunder One Single-Speed - For off-road fun and adventure
1) Diamondback Recoil 29er - Excellent mountain bike for single track
Single track mountain biking requires a slim bike, built to stick to the track. Nice and easy or rough, uphill terrain, you can get where you need to go. Some of the best features of this bike include excellent grip on the tires, a lightweight aluminum frame, and suspension and shocks that keep your ride smooth, no matter how bumpy it is. Full review here.
2) Mongoose Ruddy Comp 27.5+ - Top men's mountain bike for the money
This mountain bike gives you the best bang for your buck, designed for men of all shapes and sizes. The build of the bike is like a fat bike, but without the thick tires and wheels. This makes the bike nimble and able to handle quick turns. The tread of the tires grips even the toughest terrain. Additionally, the suspension can be switched on and off to improve your ride. Full review here.
3) Diamondback Overdrive Comp 29er - Best hardtail mountain bike for under $1000
If you want a low-maintenance MTB for under $1000, hardtail is a great option. This awesome hardtail mountain bike is ready to hit all the trails. It can be used on single tracks, as well as off-road. A Kevlar belt makes the wheels puncture-resistant. At the same time, large-diameter wheels, front and rear derailleurs, and a Shimano drivetrain keep your ride smooth. Full review here.
4) Diamondback Lux LT 27.5" - Our favorite women's mountain bike for the money
This incredible, and affordable, mountain bike offers a sleek, smooth ride. This is true regardless of how easy or difficult the trail is. The diameter of the wheels is perfect for rolling over obstacles and a 24-speed drivetrain lets you shift into gear and adapt to the terrain as you go. Another excellent feature of this bike is the Tektro Aries disc brakes, which let you stop on a dime regardless of the weather or terrain that you're conquering. Full review here.
5) Diamondback Atroz - Best full suspension mountain bike
Full-suspension bikes are a smart choice for people who have already honed their cycling skills. They absorb impact with ease, setting you up for a smooth ride even when the trails and obstacles get especially rough. The other features also prepare you to handle rough roads, from the aggressive tread pattern on the wheels to the rust and damage-resistant aluminum alloy frame. All that for less than a grand! Full review here.
6) Nashbar Single-Speed 29er - Top choice single speed mountain bike
If you like simple gears and a smooth ride, this is the perfect mountain bike for you. This single-drive bike features a rigid chromoly fork in front and large wheels that feel like they simply glide over obstacles. The tread lets the bike move quickly while maintaining an excellent grip on any riding surface and around corners. Its lightweight design and Nano Sport tires also make it fast. Full review here.
7) Diamondback Overdrive Sport 27.5 2018 - Best budget mountain bike
As the best mountain bike for people on a budget, this bike has many great qualities. Its hand-built frame allows you to switch between suspension and no suspension for compatibility with any trail. It offers a great ride, with smooth and responsive shifting, aluminum double-wall rims for reliability, and an aggressive tread that lets you tackle even the most rugged terrain. Full review here.
8) SE F@E Fat Bike - Top rated fatty
This fatty is designed for the serious rider, the ones hitting the snowy trails on their bike. It features wheels that are 4” in diameter, making them perfect to tackle rough snowy days. A lightweight, aluminum alloy frame sits atop these wheels with a thru-axle rear that gives stiffness and strength to the bike. Not only is the aluminum lightweight, it is weather-resistant and reliable. Full review here.
9) Breezer Thunder Sport - Perfect for beginners
The design of this bike is tried and true, as its original model has been available since the 1970s. This earns it the title of the best-priced mountain bike for beginners. It has a rigid frame that helps train new bikers to handle the trails and 27 easy-to-use, responsive gears. The bike also features responsive brakes, a necessity when you are learning. Full review here.