When embarking on outdoor adventures in the winter, the right pair of hiking boots will often make the difference between a great time and a miserable experience. It is therefore important for guys looking to enjoy time on the trails in cold weather to find the best men’s winter hiking boots.
- Updated 2/9/2020
Top 3 Quick Comparison: Best Men's Winter Hiking Boots
Hiking Boot Brand/Model
**Below, you'll find our detailed reviews, but you can also click the links above to quickly check the prices of our top 3 picks for men's winter hiking boots.
Table of Contents
- 1 Why Invest in Winter Hiking Boots
- 2 Types of Winter Hiking Boots for Men
- 3 How to Choose the Right Boots for You
- 4 Lowa Men's Renegade Ice GTX Hiking Boot
- 5 KEEN Men's Summit County III Winter Boot
- 6 Oboz Men's Bridger BDRY Hiking Boot
- 7 Vasque Men's Snowburban Ultradry Insulated Snow Boot
- 8 Asolo Men's TPS 535 LTH V Evo Hiking Boot
- 9 Scarpa Men's Kinesis Pro GTX Hiking Boots
- 10 Best Men's Winter Hiking Boots WINNER
Why Invest in Winter Hiking Boots
Winter hiking boots are an important gear item. It is easy to think that the hiking boots you use in the other seasons are fine for winter hiking, though this is not the case. There are aspects of winter hiking boots that make hiking in treacherous conditions safer and more comfortable.
When hiking in the winter it is very important that your feet don’t get wet. In cold weather conditions if your feet get wet it can quickly lead to painful blisters. Worse yet, your feet can freeze. This will not only hurt, but can lead to frostbite. Waterproof hiking boots that are warm will protect your feet from the elements.
The surfaces that you are hiking on in the winter will not only be cold, but may be icy, slushy and snowy. Winter hiking boots will have the traction necessary to handle the elements and many have the capability to be used with snow shoes and crampons.
The right boots for winter will allow you to safely and comfortably enjoy outdoor adventures. Learn more about the need for winter hiking boots in the video below:
Types of Winter Hiking Boots for Men
When it comes to winter hiking boots there are many options available. There are boots that are ideal for an hour or two of hiking in the snow, those that can handle a weeklong backpacking trip through snow and ice, as well as mountaineering boots for the most treacherous of conditions.
Options include single or double layer insulated boots that often have removable liners of different types, like felt or thinsulate. The outside of winter boots are made of various materials, to include leather, rubber and plastic. A waterproof membrane is necessary to create an impermeable barrier to keep water from finding its way into your boots.
How to Choose the Right Boots for You
When purchasing a pair of kicks for the winter, you are looking for hiking boots for the snow, ice, and overall cold-weather. It is important to consider multiple factors in order to choose a pair that will meet your needs and keep you comfortable and safe while on the trails.
What are your plans for these boots?
The myriad of features that are available can make choosing a pair feel overwhelming. Fortunately, we can help. Here are the things to consider when choosing the right boots for you:
- Think about the types of winter hiking you will be doing with your new boots. Will you be hiking on a snowy trail below the tree line for an hour or so or be hiking for eight hours in low temperatures encountering slush, ice and snow, both below and above tree line?
- Do you plan on backpacking? When anticipating carrying heavy weights over long distances, winter backpacking boots may be the best choice. If you are looking to spend a lot of time in icy conditions, mountaineering boots should be considered.
- Are you anticipating hikes that will involve crampons and snow shoes? If that is at all a possibility, you will want to take a look at boots that are crampon compatible and that work with your snowshoes.
Having a good understanding of the types of hiking you will be doing is important in order to choose the boots that will best meet your needs.
Keep comfort and support in mind
Make sure that the boots are comfortable, just as you would when purchasing hiking boots for the other seasons. Part of that comfort includes warmth. Boots that keep your feet warm and comfortable will make it easier to get out and enjoy the outdoors during the colder months.
Good support is a key element of comfort and this is just as important in winter hiking boots as in those you use during the warmer months. In addition, proper support will protect your feet and ankles from injury.
When choosing a pair of good boots for winter hiking, pay attention to the midsole under your foot and the cuff that wraps around your ankle. Keep in mind that the higher the boot goes up your leg, the more support they are likely to have.
Should you plan on long hikes with heavy packs, boots with stiff midsoles, heel and high ankle support are a good option. Shellback heel support, for example, provides a rigid platform for the utmost stability.
The right fit
The boots should fit properly, though this can seem confusing. You are looking for the boots to be snug all over but not tight anywhere. Make sure you are able to wriggle your toes when the boots are laced up; if you can’t than the boots are too snug.
It is best to try on the boots with the socks that you would intend to wear when hiking in the winter. Should you intend to layer your socks, wear those layers when shopping for boots.
Now that you have an idea of what to keep in mind when choosing your next pair of winter hiking boots, let’s review six possible options of top-rated cold weather boots for men:
Full Review: The 6 Best Men's Winter Hiking Boots
Hiking Boot Brand/Model
Lowa Men's Renegade Ice GTX Hiking Boot
The LOWA Men’s Renegade Ice GTX Hiking Boot is a solid leather upper with a synthetic sole that is handcrafted in Europe. A Partalena® fleece lining offers extra warmth while wearing these waterproof, breathable boots on the coldest of adventures. For winter hikes or snowshoe treks, the 8.25” shaft will keep your feet both stable and dry.
With an outsole made of rubber and Tencel® that offers a specialized winter tread profile, these men’s winter boots by LOWA will provide you with the grip that you need when traversing snow and ice. While considered to be not as stiff as mountaineering boots, they have the support you need for long backpacking trips through tough conditions.
With nearly 90 years of experience, LOWA has created insulated hiking boots for men that offer a classic look that will endure the roughest of elements.
- These boots offer a 2-inch heel and high shaft which will be effective in keeping the snow and water out of your boots while you are hiking in winter conditions
- The specialized tread is exactly what you need in order to keep upright in icy and unpredictable conditions
- The flexibility of the midsoles of these boots make them less than ideal for strap-on crampons. If you are looking to use crampons you will want to choose backpacking or mountaineering boots with stiffer soles
KEEN Men's Summit County III Winter Boot
The Keen Men’s Summit County III Winter Boot is an attractive leather upper with a synthetic sole. Featuring a waterproof membrane and considered to be the warmest of Keen’s winter boots, they will keep your feet warm and dry on snowy day hikes and backpacking trips.
With a protective toe cap and shellback heel support, as well as a shaft measuring about 8 inches from the arch, these men’s winter boots by Keen offer increased stability and protection while being relatively lightweight. The dual-climate weather outsole has the grip needed for the slick ground conditions you are likely to encounter when embarking on a winter hike.
These insulated waterproof hiking boots by Keen will have you prepared for any winter conditions that you encounter on your adventure.
- These boots have a big toe box, allowing them to be comfortable as your foot expands throughout your adventure; a benefit in particular for those with a wider foot
- The 400g KEEN warm insulation is just right; it keeps your feet warm, yet not so warm that they sweat (something you want to avoid in cold conditions)
- These boots run about a half size larger than your average shoe. For those who layer socks with their boots, keep this in mind and order a half size, rather than a full size larger and you should have the right amount of room
Oboz Men's Bridger BDRY Hiking Boot
The Oboz Men’s Bridger BDRY Hiking Boot offers an attractive look along with a myriad of features. Boasting a BDry waterproof membrane that blocks water from getting in while wicking away sweat, these men’s winter boots by Oboz will keep your feet warm and dry no matter how wet the conditions you encounter. These versatile boots by Oboz are made of leather and include a sticky outsole with 4mm directional lugs that offers the traction you desire on rough terrain.
A nylon stability shank provides excellent support so that you will be well-prepared for a variety of conditions. The BFit arch supporting EVA insole ensures that your feet will be comfortable during your explorations, while the TPU flex chassis will prevent you from developing bruises even when spending long hours on the trails.
Oboz offers a boot that is ready to tackle a variety of winter adventures with the Men's Bridger BDRY Hiking Boot.
- The TPU chassis provides a high level of stability without too much weight and protects the bottom of your feet from bruising and twisting
- The BFit Deluxe insole keeps arches stable and offers protection to areas that experience a lot of impact during your time on the trails
- With a shaft measuring 4.5 inches from the arch, these boots may not have the coverage and support that you desire
Vasque Men's Snowburban Ultradry Insulated Snow Boot
Made of leather and fabric with a rubber sole, the Vasque Men’s Snowburban Ultradry Insulated Snow Boot offers a traditional look with modern warmth and comfort. This waterproof snow boot includes an UltraDry membrane that keeps the water from getting in so that your feet remain dry, while 400g 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation and a fleece-lined collar work to keep the cold out and your feet warm.
These men’s winter boots by Vasque include a rubber toe cap, along with an EVA midsole and TPU shank (part of the supportive structure between insole and outsole) to deliver performance, stability and comfort. The Vasque Venture outsole provides the traction that is necessary when exploring the outdoors in winter conditions. In addition, these winter boots work well with snow shoes to further satisfy your thirst for exploring.
With these boots, Vasque has met their goal to inspire folks to get outdoors and "embark on an adventure".
- 400g 3M Thinsulate Ultra Insulation will keep your feet warm without causing them to sweat
- With a shaft measuring about 8 inches from the arch of the foot, these boots are tall enough to keep snow out and dryness in
- The outsole does not hold on to the mud and snow you encounter, making sure that weight isn't added to the boots and ensuring you have the grip you need
- These boots tend to run small; when choosing your size consider going at least a half size, and possibly a full size, larger
- There are no speed lacing hooks for the top eyelets which may be found to be irritating to some when lacing their boots
Asolo Men's TPS 535 LTH V Evo Hiking Boot
An attractive full-grain leather upper, the Asolo Men’s TPS 535 LTH V Evo Hiking Boot is a great option for backpacking in cold weather and winter conditions. These boots are lined with Cambrelle® to provide the warmth you need to keep trekking regardless of the temperature.
Unique in these insulated hiking boots is the TPS technology present in the outsole, which includes three shock absorbers that are made for each area of the foot that receives the most significant impact when involved in activity. This is great for your feet and legs during long journeys and the molded rubber outsole is built for performance on all types of terrain.
These backpacking boots by Asolo will keep you moving forward as you explore the outdoors during colder temperatures.
- TPS technology offers three shock absorbers in the outsole that are made by combining two layers of polyurethane; one of high and one of low density. This system of shock absorbers is great for keeping feet pain free on long, arduous journeys through rough terrain
- Self-cleaning lugs on the outsole ensure that dirt and debris won’t get caught up in your treads and impact your stability
- These boots are a stiff backpacking boot, which is excellent for stability when carrying extra weight. Be aware that it may take some time to break them in
Scarpa Men's Kinesis Pro GTX Hiking Boots
When considering the best cold weather hiking boots for males, take a look at the Scarpa Men’s Kinesis Pro GTX Boot. These attractive Nubuck leather uppers offer a durable all-terrain Vibram traction outsole that ensures you have the grip that you need. A waterproof Gore-Tex lining allows your feet to remain dry and comfortable throughout your adventures; these winter-ready boots are a good bet for long hikes or backpacking trips through rough terrain in tough weather conditions.
These men’s winter boots by Scarpa offer a dual-density PU midsole, along with a cushioned collar and tongue, ensuring your feet are comfortable on the long treks that you love. Micro-pulley hardware lacing makes it easy to get out on the trails and keep moving. No matter the outdoor adventures, with these versatile boots you will well-prepared to handle all that you encounter.
With experience creating boots since 1938, Scarpa offers an excellent hiking boot for all of your cold-weather adventures.
- A multi-layered system provides a significant platform, as well as the shock absorption and grip that you desire on even the most difficult terrain
- A full rubber rand rounds out these rugged boots, increasing their durability and their traction when scrambling along the rocks
- They appear to be very well-made, however the boots tend to be a bit stiff and require some time to be broken in
Best Men's Winter Hiking Boots WINNER
Asolo Men's TPS 535 LTH V Evo Hiking Boot
Updated 2/9/2020 - And the Winner is...
Our top choice is the Asolo Men's TPS 535 LTH V EVO Hiking Boot; like the other options, these boots will keep your feet warm, however they also offer a system of shock absorbers that will keep your feet feeling good during challenging journeys through difficult conditions.
These hiking boots by Asolo have the traction that you want (and need) in a molded rubber outsole that will allow you to maintain your confidence while traversing an icy hillside. Owning a pair of these boots will help you be well-prepared for all that you encounter as you embark on future adventures.